Written by Raquel on Friday April 20th 2012 in Friday Tips, The SIMUL8 Brain
Friday’s Tip-Top 8 Tips for a Successful Simulation
A while back, our SIMUL8 experts shared their top 8 tips for successful simulations. Being that great tips never go out of style, and the fact that you might not have read them before, we thought it was time to revisit and share them with you!
|SIMUL8’s Top 8 Tips for a Successful Simulation
|1. Know what the objective of the simulation is and ask yourself, ‘What is the problem I’m trying to solve?‘ If you don’t have a question to answer, your simulation will drift and lose focus.
2. Think about the KPIs you will be measuring. Each of the KPIs needs to add to the understanding of the problem. Also, think about a combination of KPIs to capture underlying behavior in your simulation.
3. Keep it simple. Start small and high level and only do the detail if you need to. The aim of simulation is to help you make a business decision. If you clutter the simulation with all the complexity of the real world you lose clarity.
4. How your simulation looks is just as important as what it does technically, the visual display can be a result in itself. Spend a bit of time on using visual cues to tell the story of the simulation.
5. Always save a new version of your simulation after making a key change. It’s a simple step but can save so much time as you can revert back to your original quickly to test a different approach.
6. Make one change at a time and test how this change affects the behavior of the simulation. Making several changes at once will make it very hard to trace what change has made the difference to the simulation, good or bad!
7. SIMUL8 is known for its very fast run times, so if your simulation takes longer than a minute to run then it’s too slow, and that’s stopping you from running experiments quickly to test new ideas.
8. Pay attention to the SIMUL8 Assistant, it gives great advice!
Do you have any top tips for rookie users? If so, please share them with us!